SAVE $200 on your coilover order by supplying spindle cores!!!
- Height Adjustment
- Increased alignment (camber & caster) when used with our adjustable strut mounts
- Our kits include Eibach Racing Springs, with spring rates & lengths of your choice.
- All hardware aluminum hardware is 6061 T6 grade and anodized for corrosion prevention.
- Billet Aluminum Rear Spring Perches and Height Adjusters
- Welded stop ring
Pricing & Packages:
Front Kit includes:
- A pair of modified strut housings, (does not include spindle cores)
- Coil over hardware consisting of our low profile upper spring perches, aluminum sleeve and spring seat.
- Eibach Brand Springs, XT type springs will be used when available.
The Rear kit includes:
- Rear adjustable spring perches
- Eibach Brand Springs.
The Front & Rear Hardware kit includes:
- Weld Rings
- Luxe Steer Upper Spring Perches
- Coilover Sleeves and Lower Spring Perch
- Eibach Springs (2 Front & 2 rear)
- Rear Adjustable Spring Perches
Do you need new strut roller bearings?
- New INA Bearings
The Shorter & Rethread Strut Housings option includes:
- Taking the factory strut housings cutting them to a shorter length and threading the tube for shorter strut insert.
Details about the products:
Adjustable Coilovers are one of the key components to unlocking the handling performance of a 700/900 chassis.
One of the improvements when using the 700/900 Adjustable Coilovers is changing the springs from an application specific spring, which is only available in very limited selection, to standard motor sport spring. Standard motor sport springs are available in many different lengths and stiffness rates. Typical “sport springs” are designed to lower the car for aesthetic purposes and provide a very mild increase in spring rate. These low spring rates are good for ride comfort but bad for performance. We have spring packages that we can tailor to the individual’s preference for the balance between ride quality and performance. Using a more aggressive spring rate can improve the cars response to steering, braking, and acceleration inputs. It also reduces body roll side to side and front to rear resulting in better braking performance and increased lateral grip.
The ability to adjust the spring height at each corner of the car lets the cars ride height and corner weights to be adjusted and fine tuned. Ride height adjustment can be used to increase the aesthetics value, the utility value, and handling performance of the 700/900 chassis.
When Volvo designed the suspension on the 700/900 they built in understeer under mid to heavy cornering to protect the unskilled motorist from sliding out of control. One of the best ways to remove this understeer, improve tire wear, and increase grip is to change the front end tire alignment of the car. The factory springs have a large outer diameter and when coupled with our adjustable strut mounts can limit the adjustment range before the spring will hit the inside of the strut tower. The front springs that we use have a much smaller diameter and allow the alignment to be adjusted into a more optimal position.
This conversion compliments our adjustable strut mounts by allowing for a larger adjustment range due to the smaller diameter front springs.
Each set is sent with springs to the customers specifications based on desired driving applications.
The modification to the front struts removes 4 lbs / side.
Shortening & Rethreading: Why, How, and When?
Why: The factory strut inserts and housings are optimal for the soft ride and long travel that Volvo sold with the cars to keep a smooth ride. This setup made ride comfort a priority without considering the reduction in cornering performance. With coilovers you can make a car very low but if that is your goal for your car coilovers are only one part of the equation. If you use the adjustment of the coilovers to lower the car more then 2 inches (50mm) lower then stock, you will most likely be riding on the bumpstops excessively. This causes a reduction in ride quality and control. To fix this we heavily recommend using a shorter strut insert and housing. What this does is changes the point at which the suspension is fully collapsed or bottomed out. For example, if you lower the car 3" from stock you may have 1" of bump travel left and 6" of droop travel with factory length struts. With a shortened housing and insert you can have 3" of bump travel and 3" of droop travel.
How: We cut the factory strut housing to a length that will be suitable to your ride height and use requirements and then machine the internal threads into the housing at the new length. Combine this with the correct length damper, like our race struts, and you can set the car up to work well at different ride heights with good ride quality.
When: If you want to lower the car more then 2" from the factory ride height.
We often get asked what the "Core" is, hopefully this will help clarify. In this kit we are modifying a factory spindle strut housing assembly. In order to help you save money on these parts we offer the option for you to supply us with these parts instead of just forcing everyone to buy a set of strut housings from us.
As of 1/16/15 we are now including the cost of cores in the in our kit. We offer 3 options to deal with this.
- You can purchase a set of cores for $200 from us. This is included in the $940 purchase price.
- You can purchase the coil overs and return your original strut cores at a later date and we will refund your $200 core charge. If you are sending us a set of cores back they must be in good serviceable condition. Good serviceable condition being defined as, no significant rust or corrosion, no damage or excessive wear to the bearing surfaces, and being generally straight. If you have a set that are questionable please email us and we can confirm if they will be accepted or not.
- You can supply a set of cores for us to modify for you and we will reduce the price of the Front or Front & Rear Coilovers by $200.
This is the what the core looks like (ABS 240 Unit Pictured). When sending us the core please remove the springs, wheel hubs, back plates, brake components, and strut inserts. It is also a good idea to tape or protect the wheel bearing area as it is easily damaged in transit.